ABOUT US

VFW Triangle Post 2799 is located at 3161 E. South Range Road, New Springfield Ohio 44443. 
 
  

VFW Triangle Post 2799 History

  Charter Members

           Francis Wire          Emmet Shaffe          Harry Buzard          Jack Valentine          Fred Beight             Paul Beight          Raymond Cyrus            L. V. Heaver          Ronald French         Joel Krumlauf          Charles Mauch         Lloyd Bryan            William Mauch     George L. Crum

 

Post 2799 received its charter on March 25, 1933 with a membership of fourteen and was named Triangle, which represents the three neighboring towns of New Springfield, Petersburgh, and New Middletown. These towns lie in a position which forms the points of a triangle.

Post meetings were held in the old New Middletown Village Hall until December, 1945 when the Veterans were returning home from World War II, and signed up with the V.F.W.  It was decided to locate in the Maccabee Lodge Building on the square in New Springfield. Our First Commander was Ronald French.

On November 9th, 1946 a loan was granted to purchase the Walter Rupert home across the street from the Maccabee Lodge. This building served as the Post home from 1946 until 1957. During this period, we incorporated and purchased 23 acres of ground from Mr. George Roberts. With volunteer help from our members, social members, cash and material donations in 1958 and 1959 we were able to construct our new home.

In 1966 a memorial for Township Veterans was erected on the Post Grounds. This was done so that Memorial Day services could be held here year after year.

Today, we continue to sponsor many local functions in the Triangle area and continuously improve the post and community in which we live.

 

  
The VFW traces its roots back to 1899 when veterans of the Spanish-American War (1898) and the Philippine Insurrection (1899-1902) founded local organizations to secure rights and benefits for their service: Many arrived home wounded or sick. There was no medical care or veterans' pension for them, and they were left to care for themselves. 
 
In their misery, some of these veterans banded together and formed organizations with what would become known as the Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States. After chapters were formed in Ohio, Colorado and Pennsylvania, the movement quickly gained momentum. By 1915, membership grew to 5,000; by 1936, membership was almost 200,000. 

Since then, the VFW's voice had been instrumental in establishing the Veterans Administration, creating a GI bill for the 20th century, the development of the national cemetery system and the fight for compensation for Vietnam vets exposed to Agent Orange and for veterans diagnosed with Gulf War Syndrome. In 2008, VFW won a long-fought victory with the passing of a GI Bill for the 21st Century, giving expanded educational benefits to America's active-duty service members, and members of the Guard and Reserves, fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan. 

The VFW also has fought for improving VA medical centers services for women veterans.

Besides helping fund the creation of the Vietnam, Korean War, World War II and Women in Military Service memorials, the VFW in 2005 became the first veterans' organization to contribute to building the new Disabled Veterans for Life Memorial, which opened in November 2010.

Annually, the nearly 2 million members of the VFW and its Auxiliaries contribute more than 8.6 million hours of volunteerism in the community, including participation in Make A Difference Day and National Volunteer Week. 

From providing over $3 million in college scholarships and savings bonds to students every year, to encouraging elevation of the Department of Veterans Affairs to the president's cabinet, the VFW is there.

FOLLOW US